Pelé Leads Gordon Banks Tributes

  Pelé led the tributes from around the world on Tuesday after the death of Gordon Banks, widely regarded as England’s greatest ever goalkeeper and a key member of the 1966 World Cup winning side.

Gordon and Pele
 The Brazil forward’s name will be forever linked with that of Banks as a result of one of the 1970 World Cup’s most memorable moments, with Pelé generously suggesting he is happy the goalkeeper kept out his famous header because it led to a subsequent friendship.

 “I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family Gordon was so proud of,” Pelé said. “I scored many goals in my life but people always like to ask about the one I didn’t score, because of that save. While it was indeed phenomenal my memory of Gordon is not defined by that but his friendship. He was a kind, warm man who gave so much to people. I am glad he saved my header because it was the start of a friendship I will always treasure. Whenever we met it was like we had never been apart.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Am Better Than Messi - Ronaldo

Arsenal have lost the Premier League title – Allardyce